If you’re looking for decadent vegetarian comfort food, The Barefoot Contessa’s “Vegetable Pot Pie” is your dish. While the vegetables make this somewhat healthy, don’t be fooled, it has TONS of butter. (I’ve concluded that if a recipe doesn’t have at least a pound of butter, it’s not a Barefoot Contessa recipe.)
In our most recent rendition, we made this with vegetables almost entirely from our garden: butternut squash, carrots, onions, potatoes, green beans (subbed for the asparagus), and parsley. The only non-garden veggies were the fennel (which we tried to grow) and the “small frozen onions” which I really don’t like that much anyway and may just omit next time.
- We skip the Pernod (an anise flavored liquor).
- Don’t skip the saffron!!! It’s pricey, but a little goes a long way — it’s important to the flavor here.
- To make it vegetarian, we use veggie broth or stock instead of chicken stock.
- We tend to be generous with the amount of vegetables.
- To make it healthier, eat a small serving of the pot pie with some lighter side dishes to round out the meal. I served this with a tomato salad last week.