Look what our garden made!
Preheat oven to 400° F. Cut fennel bulb into quarters. (Reserve stalks and feathery bits for something else.) Brush both sides of fennel with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Roast for about 40 minutes — flip to other side at the half-way point. Finished product should be tender, golden, and caramelized.
*Growing Fennel (advice from Matthew)
We started the fennel from seed (look for “Florence fennel” or “bulbing fennel”) back in mid-January using our grow lights. We transplanted them to the garden in mid-March, when they were still quite tiny.
What Worked for Us
- When transplanting (or if sowing seed directly), leave at least 12 inches between plants to encourage large bulb formation.
- Keep plants well-weeded early on — mulching will help with this.
- Keep watered, too — again, mulch helps here.
- Pray to the weather gods 😉 The rainy, cool spring probably helped.
- Click here if you want more details.