While I’ve continued to refer to Gabriel as “The Dude” in most of my posts, these days, we use the nickname “Sir” much more frequently.* I’m not sure where I picked it up, but there is some irony in addressing him as such:
“Would Sir desire a shit in the potty?”
“Is Sir ready for some delicious breast milk?”
Anyhow, at some point we’ll have to drop this “Sir” business, lest he get an inflated impression of his position in this family and society at large, but for now, it’s sticking.
The nickname is not the only change. Earlier this month, Sir passed the eight-month mark. One part of me feels like these life-tipped-totally-upside-down-because-of-baby days can’t pass quickly enough and the other part can’t believe it’s already been over eight months.
Here’s a quick peek at the current state of things.
While mama’s milk continues to provide the majority of calories and nutrients,
Sir enjoys his solid food. I had some doubts about BabyLed Weaning in the beginning and worried that several bouts of sickness that put Sir back on a milk-only diet would pose significant setbacks in the process, but things are going wonderfully.
He’s tried almost everything we’ve set in front of him thus far, usually displaying great enthusiasm for the whole process, proving that he is, in fact, our child. He’s also been exposed to most of the foods that are common allergens (peanuts, eggs, soy, wheat, corn) with no apparent issues, which is nice.
Over the past two months, Sir perfected the army crawl. He moves quite quickly and adroitly, especially when he spots a forbidden object, like the trash can.
So far, he’s displayed little inclination to pick his belly up off of the floor and actually crawl. I’m not particularly concerned, either he will, or he’ll go straight to walking.
Very hit or miss, much to my frustration, as I mentioned here. We continue to offer. These days, Sir usually consents to sit on the potty, but often with no results (despite waiting sitting for several minutes at times, looking at a toy or a book), only to make a big puddle on the floor a few minutes later.
Do I dare to even go here? Most nights are actually pretty darn good, it’s the daytime sleep, especially at daycare, that’s killing me. This week has actually been slightly better, but I don’t want to get my hopes up.
- Number of teeth: 8 — no molars yet, but he’s working on it!
- Hair: still brown, though lighter than before, starting to fill in the bald spot on the back of his head, shows signs of having a bit of curl
- Weight: Somewhere over 20 pounds — a nice little chunker
- Height: Somewhere over 27 inches
- Other nicknames: Baby Bulldog (when teething), Little Lizard (when gassy)
- Likes: Outsa! (how Matthew said “outside” as a baby), eating, putting everything in his mouth, exploring, my animal sound impressions, babbling with us, peeing on the floor shortly after we offer the potty
- Dislikes: naps, holding still for diaper changes, parental limits on explorations
*I’m sure The Dude will still pop up from time to time. He was most definitely The Dude while sporting some sunglasses last weekend.